Wasp Star is an album by XTC. It is the second volume of the Apple Venus set. This volume is a return to the classic XTC sound, while the first volume had more of a big orchestral sound. It was recorded from April - December 1999 at Idea Studios, Wiltshire, and Chipping Norton Studios, Oxfordshire, England. It was released on Cooking Vinyl/Idea Records on May 22, 2000.
It reached No. 108 on the Billboard Top 200 Album chart, No. 2 on the CMJ Adult Album Alternative chart in the U.S.A. and No. 6 on the Indie Albums chart in the UK
"I'm The Man Who Murdered Love" was the single released from the album. It can be heard briefly in an episode of the WB series Gilmore Girls. It was originally proposed for the 1992 album Nonsuch. "Playground" was released as a single only in Japan and "Stupidly Happy" was a promotional-only single in the U.S.
To date, Wasp Star is the last studio album released by the group.
- All songs written by Andy Partridge, except where noted.
- "Playground" – 4:17
- "Stupidly Happy" – 4:13
- "In Another Life" (Colin Moulding) – 3:35
- "My Brown Guitar" – 3:51
- "Boarded Up" (Moulding) – 3:23
- "I'm the Man Who Murdered Love" – 3:44
- "We're All Light" – 4:39
- "Standing in for Joe" (Moulding) – 3:42
- "Wounded Horse" – 4:11
- "You and the Clouds Will Still be Beautiful" – 4:18
- "Church of Women" – 5:06
- "The Wheel and the Maypole" – 5:55
- Chuck Sabo - drums (1, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
- Prairie Prince - drums (2, 3, 4, 12)
- Matt Vaughn - programming
- Nick Davis - the more complicated keyboard parts
- Kate St. John - oboe
- Simon Gardner - flugelhorn
- Gavin Wright - 1st violin
- Patrick Kiernan - 2nd violin
- Peter Lale - viola
- Caroline Dale - cello
- Holly Partridge - backing vocals on "Playground"
- Nick Davis - producer, mix
- Nick Davis, Alan Douglas, Barry Hammond, Haydn Bendall - recording engineers
- Simon Dawson - mix engineer
- Bob Ludwig - mastering
- Andy's daughter, Holly Partridge, made her singing debut on record singing backup vocals in the song "Playground"; she now sings and plays guitar in the English pop-rock group The SheBeats.
- This album was the first album featuring only Andy and Colin as XTC.